Tuesday 1 March 2011

The Facebook Principal.....

The irony that I'm reading a book on Facebook as I'm trying to cut back on the amount of time I spend on Facebook is not lost on me. But there is a very valuable lesson to learn for from what they did. The focused on growing an audience before trying to monetize.

Building a community is REALLY important for all us interweb musician types, its took me years to be build a small audience. I believe being open and giving away free music creates goodwill. This wasn't a grand plan, I just learned along the was. You treat people as individuals, you say thank you, treat them with respect. Having an audience is a not a right, its an incredible privilege.

If you focus on money first it costs more in marketing to build your audience. The paywall you put slows the process of discovery. There are just too many other things going on online.

If you like my music please just tell one person about it. Thank you :)

A trip to Denmark Street and Forbidden Planet - London:

IMG_0328IMG_0332IMG_0326IMG_0335IMG_0336

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails