Tuesday 25 October 2011

Matt Stevens - Relic - Track By Track Part 2

Relic is track 2.

Different, heavy. Acoustic guitar, distorted bass, drums.

Bass is by Kevin Feazey

Drums - Stuart Marshall.

Gideon Coe played it on his BBC Radio 6 show the other day, this made me happy, first time thats happened.

So this one is a 10/8 shuffle. We recorded the guitars and bass first then the drums at Livingstone. I was a bit unhappy with this one until then we put the drums on, we didn't tell Stu it was in a weird timing - we just said off you go and he came up with the groove at the start which made it for me. It felt a bit flat and dangerously close to "contemporary progressive rock", Stu made it a bit more Melvins and I was really happy. Now its one of my favourite songs on the record.

The title refers to the way i was thinking at the time that it was time to stop making records, that this would be the last one. I think i've changed my mind since then. Are CDs are a relic? Is the 10 song album a thing of the past? Do you need a 10 track record when people like to pick off individual tracks? I'm not sure, I still like the format. We'll see. I know that this will be last ten track album for a while anyway, i think i've put out too much music in the last few years and I don't want to get burned out.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails