Monday 3 October 2011

I don't really like instrumental music but....

One of the things I get is "I don't really like instrumental music but I really like your stuff". I understand.

Neither do I.

Most "rock instrumentals" are a bit noodly - solos, god why the solos. Over and over. That say nothing.

I love solos when its Bill Steer and Michael Amott in Carcass or Randy Rhodes or John Coltrane and Miles Davis. Or Bill Evans.

Sadly a lot of rock solos is the process of playing fancy lick X over generic modal vamp Y. With some added noodles. I don't get it.

I'm interested in chords and composition like Radiohead, King Crimson, The Dead Kennedys, The Beatles, Husker Du, Jellyfish,Debussy and Voivod. Chords and melodies. That feeling you get when a piece of music takes you somewhere. Emotions.

The good stuff :)

Thanks loads to everyone who has been downloading and sharing Relic :)

1 comment:

James Corachea said...

A few people have said that about my music. They have all been older women. I don't know what instrumental music they have heard or what they expect but I don't think it was the shreddy guitar music that you describe.

That genre can also be done right though but perhaps more often than not it isn't.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails